Sunday, July 19, 2009

Hamsanandi: brings tears

If you know me on a personal level, you know that Hamsanandi is one of my most favourite ragams. I feel so closely attached to it. For years I have been so fascinated by how it stirs me. Hamsanandi or Sohni(as it's called in hindustani music) is usually synonymous with Adi Narayana Rao's brilliant "Kuhu Kuhu Bole koyaliya". It tops the list of my most favourite compositions. The devarnama "Kunidado Krishna" is also an amazing composition.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2be-QXe5moo

I was blown by this piece today. S.Balachander's rendering of hamsanandi has to be one of the most soulful I have ever listened to. It played with my feelings. I hope you enjoy it too!

3 comments:

Aakarsh said...

I admire Adi Narayana Rao's song. Yet,i think no other composer tapped the beauty of this raaga as eloquently as Ilaiyaraaja. for me, the raaga has become synonymous with his music in that raaga. :)

Ramya said...

That is true. ilayaraja undoubtedly captures ragams like amrutavarshini,lalitha etc..

Is there any song you are referring to?

Aakarsh said...

Try these:

Vedham - Film:Saagara Sangamam (telugu)
Putham Puthu Poo - Dalapathy
Gaana Kuyile - Pooncholai

there was one hamsandni in his instrumental masterpiece album "How to Name It" too i think.

I think even "Ninnai Charanaidendhe" from film Bharathi also has similar emotional feel.Could be hamsanandi, correct me if i am wrong (because i sometimes get confused with Panthuvaraali also.. because both have similar feel-scape).